Saturday, September 23, 2006

What the -- ??

I paid $2.35 a gallon for gas yesterday.

With foliage season approaching in about a week or two, this can't last long in this neck of the woods -- but what the hell?

The plummeting gas prices (from a high of $3+ per gallon for regular) over the past month has been positively eerie -- this email this morning from HomeyM in Jamiaca, VT sums up my own thoughts:

"They're up to something. They don't cut profits just to be nice. My guess is we will be at war with Iran in a month or two, after we are lulled into feeling good about lower gas prices. Karl Rove does nothing without a purpose; usually it's a diversionary tactic to keep your eyes off something else. Or else it is to help the Republicans in the Nov. election, i.e. to mitigate the impact of the negative coattails of George Walker Bush just enough to keep Republican control of the Congress. Then jack up those gas prices again with nothing left to lose.

Whatever it is, and your guess is as good as mine, they are definitely up to something by having their refiner friends and partners in business crime lower the gas prices. No logic to it all with winter coming on and more oil shortages ahead."
______________

Heads up, anyone who can help:

Among my many teaching and research resources is a sizeable collection of comics magazines and fanzines. I've pulled together and combed (donating all my doubles to either The Center for Cartoon Studies and/or HUIE Library/Henderson State University's collections) all my back issues of The Comics Journal, but I'm still seeking the following back issues -- if anyone out there can help me, either via sale, trade or donation, I'd be very appreciative!

(Hey, Steve P, if you hadn't tossed out your collection years ago,
I'd have paid you some $$ and this list would be shorter!)

Seeking The Comics Journal
#28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 39, 41, 43, 44, 46, 47, 50, 51, 52, 54, 55, 57, 266.

Thanks! You can email me directly at msbissette@yahoo.com...

4 Comments:

Blogger Heath Lail said...

Steve,

Thought I'd pass along that gas has fallen to $2.15 here in the South...we shall wait and see how things turn. Hope you and yours have a great week:)

9/24/2006  
Blogger SRBissette said...

I've received a few emails from folks noting this is a "normal" fall-back in prices after the summer, but the massive price plunge goes beyond that. In previous years -- except for last year's post-Katrina spike -- the fall brought prices down a wee bit from where they were by Labor Day. This is something else, don't you think?

9/24/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, my friend ... a lot of stuff ended up in the trash cans at Newfane. All those Thundercat scripts, bibles, Silverhawk stuff ... god, a fortune on Ebay thown away by ... me? Hard to believe.

9/25/2006  
Blogger SRBissette said...

Well, Steve, I tried to coax you at the time to not chuck all that -- even offered you a place to store it! Ah, well, we do what we do, and don't do what we don't do... so it goes.

9/30/2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home